We are naturally always seeking how to arrest ageing and disease. How do we look and feel the way we felt in our youth? The conclusion most of us come to is that it’s no mystery; there is no easy fix. It takes stating your goals, deciding that you are going to do it and sticking to the plan (possessing the motivation to keep going). If you are new to my blog or haven’t read parts 1 & part 2 of this series, please check them out. I hope you find all three of these posts helpful.
Refined & Unnatural Sugar- We must cut it out!!!
Sugar is slowly but surely killing us. It’s been said that it’s a drug. Very addictive and deadly. If we seek ways to cut down on this drug, we will naturally be and feel more youthful and lose weight so we can look more youthful as well.
So here are my top 9 tips on weight loss, starting with cutting out sugar:
- Number One: Lower the glycemic index. This is how fast sugar is absorbed into the cells. Some foods absorb very quickly (high glycemic index) and some slower (low glycemic index). If you’ve ever been low on energy and have eaten a piece of candy or donut mostly made of sugar, you may have noticed that the energy didn’t last long. These foods have a high glycemic index, thus are not healthy and in fact drive us to crave more sugar and be hungry. Simply not enough nutritional value to sustain us.
- Number Two: Stay hydrated! Keep the kidneys flushing that sugar and toxins out. If you add lemons to your water is is a sure way to enhance this process and your kidneys as well as your body will thank you. It promotes a healthy pH in the body and contributes to the production of collagen in the body from the vitamin C in lemons, which in turn helps to decrease ageing.
- Number Three: Portion Control– Oh boy……this is where I’m going to lose a lot of people. How many times have I heard in my youth, “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach”? This well known phrase was often said to me or my younger family members from an elder. Some of us are guilty of trying to stretch our stomachs to the size that is needed in order to consume the amount of food that we desire. If you have a waistline bigger than 35 (women) and bigger than 40 (men), it is within your best interest to begin making changes right away. Try cutting your portion sizes of what you eat to half. Make the calories count with foods packed with nutrition. You don’t have to compromise on taste either.
- Number Four: Movement is extremely important. Do not under estimate the impact of walking, house chores that cause some exertion, moderate exercise at least 3 times a week and elevating our heart rate in exercise. Find the right fit for you whether it be boxing, bicycling, walking, swimming, aerobics, dancing, yoga and so on.
- Number Five: Control your stress levels. There are so many options on how to achieve this. Exercise in whatever form you desire is one of them, Meditation, Hobbies, Spirituality. We must let go and let the Almighty handle whatever we can not change and learn to deal with matters that we can control. Cortisol must be kept at a healthy level or it will cause high blood pressure and weight gain just to name a few.
- Number Six: Crucial! Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per NIGHT. Notice I stated at night because we are naturally not to be up and moving at night but asleep. Our circadian rhythm dictates that we sleep at night and this is when the body resets and repairs DNA. If we get the proper amount of sleep at the proper amount of time, it promotes growth hormone. Growth hormone helps in maintaining our youth.
- Number Seven: Use Supplements and Minerals that help with blood sugar control. There are so many options, just to name a few: chromium, magnesium, cinnamon, ACV (apple cider vinegar) and Black Seed Oil (Nigella Oil). These naturally help with metabolism and you will see tremendous results. Find one that fits your life style.
- Number Eight: Laughter is a must. Be happy despite what is going on in your life. Did you know that laughter releases the happy neurotransmitter, dopamine, in the brain. According to some researchers, when we laugh and dopamine is released it serves as a reward for the brain and brings about a sense of euphoria. This causes us to become more motivated. Can you see how this would also help inadvertently to decrease stress and help to keep us on track with our goals?
- Number Nine: Push the reset button. The only ones holding us back are ourselves. We may be suffering from depression, guilt, shame, fear, disappointment, addiction. Break those chains and push that reset button. If you’ve gone to the Heavenly Father and asked for forgiveness for anything you’ve fallen short in and to those who you may have offended, don’t hold on to those feelings……LET THEM GO!
One thought on “Journey to Wellness: Turning Back the Clock Part 3- Cut Out Sugar!”