How many of us were told to “Drink your #milk so you can have strong teeth and bones?” Well, I believed that for a long time. What if I told you that it may be just the opposite? Here are a few facts to help you to decide.
- Calcium from animal milk is not absorbed as well as the calcium that is found in white beans, canned salmon, sardines, dried figs, bok choy, blackstrap molasses, kale, black-eyed peas, almonds, oranges, sesame seeds, oatmeal, seaweed, turnip greens and more.
- When we were babies, if our mothers’ breastfed us, this was best for us for so many reasons. It gave us our immune system and nutrients. It was also bonding time with Mom. However, once we developed teeth, we did not need to continue to drink milk as our main source of calcium and nutrients. We graduated to FOOD! I’m just sayin’!
- There is research that suggests that animal milk not only does not help build strong bones and teeth, but weakens them.
- Evidence has also been found that revealed that animal milk may lead to a higher risk of prostate cancer and ovarian cancer.
- Animal sources of calcium come with cholesterol also. If you have health issues due to high cholesterol, other plant based sources have none.
- Due to the amount of antibiotics that are used in an attempt to keep the animals healthy and infection free, this is leading to antibiotic resistance. YOU are ingesting whatever this animal digested! If the animal was vaccinated, you are also receiving this.
- Saturated fats are not good for us either and if you drink whole animal milk, you are most likely getting 20 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA). Even if you cut it down to 1% milk, you are receiving 8% of the RDA. So before eating any food at all for the day, you can see how the calories from fat can add up in a big way. This can definitely lead to weight gain.
- Animal milk can have the opposite desired effect which is leaching the milk straight out of your bones. This can cause brittle bones and osteoporosis. (See reference 3)
- We need a healthy lifestyle and well-rounded diet. It is a must to get adequate sunshine or supplemental vitamin D, and about 500 mg Calcium per day which can easily be obtained from plant sources.
In summary, I will just say that I hope all of this is FOOD for thought! Let me know what your primary source of calcium is….plant based foods or animal source. Please share this info in your social media posts!!!
2 thoughts on “#Milk Does the Body What???”
Very good article. I didn’t know that. Thank you again for the information.
Thanks for reading and being a loyal follower!