What can you do at the first sign of a cold or the flu to keep it from becoming full-blown? Just a quick recipe that I have tried and it works wonders for the immune system. You can use it for the treatment of symptoms or as prevention. When people around you are sick such as close family or co-workers that you have no choice of being around, we must have a way to ward off illness.
Photo credit: WSJ
Here is what you will need…..it’s super simple:
- About 20-24 cloves of garlic
- Enough honey to cover the garlic in a jar to yield about a pint (approximately 400 mL by the time the garlic is added)
- Note: Raw honey is preferred instead of refined like you typically buy at the grocery store. You can always make a half batch of this recipe.
- Peel the garlic cloves, crush them or cut them into tiny pieces and put them in a medium-size jar; add enough honey to cover the garlic and then set it aside for at least 36 hours.
- Take one teaspoon every 2-3 hours or as needed to relieve cough and sore throat.
- Use at the first signs of cough/cold and flu symptoms as an immune system booster.
Photo credit: memegenerator.net
Garlic contains Allicin
This part of garlic gives it it’s health benefits but also will cause bad odor and potent taste. The fresher it is, as with other foods, the more potent it is. Garlic is a natural anti-infectant, helps to decrease blood pressure and works against blood clotting to some degree.
Honey stands on its own as a natural remedy
Honey is not only a natural sweetener, but it also has many vitamins and nutrients. If used in raw form as a sweetener, it won’t spike your blood sugar. Its anti-oxidant properties are powerful and it guards against free radicals which can be cancer-causing. more info honey health benefits
Together, these 2 make a superfood that helps us in multiple ways!
Do you have a recipe that’s similar to this? Post it in my comments and let us know how it worked for you!
As always, why not SHARE IT🔗🙌, LIKE👍, REPOST♻, COMMENT💬 especially if you try my healthy tips and they work for you,
and YES, SUBSCRIBE 👏by clicking Follow?
Thanks so much for visiting!
You all probably remember the famous “Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia”. How many of us grew those chia plants back in the day and had no idea what it was? Well, I have just become a user of these cool little seeds. Top 8 reasons why to incorporate Chia Seeds into your daily diet:
- One big reason is you get a lot for doing so little. Chia seeds are packed with so many nutrients and very few calories. They contain 11 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 5 grams of Omega-3s out of the 9 grams of fat, 18% of the recommended daily allowance of Calcium (RDA), 30% of the RDA of Manganese, 27% of the RDA of Phosphorus, a generous amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3/Niacin, Potassium, Vitamin B1/Thiamine and Vitamin B2.
- In just 1 ounce, you get a power-packed 137 calories (this is just 2 tablespoons). Since a lot of these calories are fiber and may not be used by the body, these ends up being about 101 calories per ounce. Chia seeds are usually grown organically and considered a “whole grain” food. They are non-GMO and also gluten free without any manipulation.
- Chia seeds have been found to have a high amount of anti-oxidants
- As mentioned earlier, almost all of the calories are from fiber. Since fiber won’t raise your blood sugar level, eating chia seeds doesn’t require so much usage of insulin because only a small percentage is actual carbs. Fiber absorbs a lot of water and eating these seeds in other foods and drinks will “fill you up” so to speak. This may lead to you eating fewer calories, thus, it may help in weight loss.
- Chia seeds are high in protein which helps to keep you full and suppress apetite!
- They are high in Omega-3-Fatty acids
- May reduce your risk of heart disease and Type 2 diabetes
- They contain nutrients that are healthy for bones. This is important to me since I made a decision not to drink or give cow milk to my family. I wanted another source of calcium and phosphorus. These nutrients also include magnesium and protein in which Chia seeds contain a great amount.
- These little seeds may cause improvement in Type 2 Diabetes patients due to their ability to significantly lower blood pressure and a marker for inflammation.
I hope you will give these little seeds a try, but before doing so, just consider that it is best taken in small amounts like an ounce or so mixed in with other food and drink. Also, please consult your healthcare provider before introducing anything new. This just keeps them in the loop and helps you to be safer!