Recently there are some foods that have been shown to have been overlooked as powerful and potent sources of not only nutrition, but also for their healing properties and protection from disease. Some are even being proven to help to prolong life, preventing ailments from heart attack and stroke risk to promoting brain health and diabetes. They are relatively inexpensive and so easy to incorporate into our daily lives. Let’s take a look at 8 amazing seeds that demonstrate great benefits for our health.
Here is just one way in which to use these amazing seeds😋🥞 More recipe posts to come!
My recipe for Flaxseed Pancakes
- 3 tablespoons of Flaxseeds (a substitute for eggs)
- About 1&1/2-2 cups of a plant based drink (coconut milk, almond milk, whatever your choice)
- A sweetener such as unsweetened applesauce (1/2 cup)
- A few tablespoons of brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil (or optional cooking oil of your choosing)
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of liquid vanilla flavoring
- About 2-2&1/2 cups of flour (healthy options: spelt mixed with whole wheat and can even mix in a bit of self-rising flour for baking in equal parts). Note that spelt flour will make for very light pancakes and will take more in the recipe. Whole wheat flour will make the pancake heavier so use sparingly.
- Generally makes about 8-9 pancakes
- Start by grinding up your flaxseeds in a blender (generally takes about 30 seconds).
- Place them into a medium mixing bowl and add your plant based drink. Allow a few minutes to soak a bit.
- Add in brown sugar and applesauce and whisk in until consistent mixture (if you don’t have a whisk a fork works just fine)
- Add your cooking oil, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder and whisk in as well.
- Begin to add your flour (if you can sift it in to prevent lumping it’s better)……adding little by little as you whisk in or with your hand mixer until you have a consistent mixture. Shouldn’t be too runny so you may add flour as needed to reach a pancake batter consistency. Hint: It should pour slowly from a spoon/ladle.
- At this point if you would like to add some fruit such as blueberries or strawberries, feel free to do so.
- Heat your large frying pan on medium heat and add a few tablespoons of your choice of cooking oil. After a few minutes the pan should be heated enough to begin cooking your pancakes. When you see bubbles forming around the outer edges and a bit towards the middle it’s time to flip them. Generally after a minute or two on the second side they are ready to retrieve, cooking 1-2 at a time.
- Serve as above with preserves, honey, or if you so desire maple syrup but in order to keep it more healthy the first two options are best.